Sunday, October 9, 2011

D is for Dinosaur

Alex loves dinosaurs so we of course had a D is for dinosaur day.


He made a Letter D dinosaur. I guess it reminded him of a snake because he gave it a snake tongue. I cut out all the pieces and directed him how to glue it together.

Another craft we did a glue resist dinosaur skeleton. I saw this on Pinterest, but the original post is from That Artist Women. I just drew a very rough skeleton of a dinosaur in glue. Once it was dry, Alex painted over it with brown paint to reveal the skeleton.






About a week ago we made some salt dough "fossils" in preparation for Dino Day. I used a simple salt dough recipe:

Ingredients
1 cup salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup luke warm water

Directions
1. In a large bowl mix salt and flour.
2. Gradually stir in water. Mix well until it forms a doughy consistency.
3. With your hands form a ball with your dough and kneed it for at least 5 minutes. The longer you kneed your dough the smoother it will be.
When our dough was ready we rolled it out to about a 1/2 inch thickness and pressed some small plastic dinosaurs in the dough. I cooked them in the oven at 200 degrees for about 1 hour but they were still soft. They air dried the rest of the week.




We finally got a sunny day this week so I buried them in Alex's sandbox and let him go on a "dino dig." It was a fun activity, I made about 6 of them and Alex wanted me to "hide" them again and again for him to find. He really liked finding them, brushing them off and then blowing off the sand.




















We also did some worksheets from 2 Teaching Mommies' Dinosaur preschool pack.



Counting Dinos




Sorting small, medium and large dinos




Do a Dot Letter D is for dino



For lunch I made Alex a sad little peanut butter and jelly dino sandwich with some candy corn spikes. I really need to step up my creativeness with the themed food. LOL




The books we read were:






Check out some of our other dinosaur related activities here.

1 comment:

  1. WHat fun dino activities! Thanks for linking up to The Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete